Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Take Two

Let's try this again.
After some time to reflect (ha), I've decided that I really MUST share some of the experiences I'm having on the daily. I'll post some pictures for now and write a bit later. Here's some of Nick's Paris:

I'm turned-in, I know, but it was raining and slippery when the Kiddos and I went to the Musée de l'Orangerie

...where we saw Monet's Les Nymphéas, THE waterlily installment to beat all (sorry MoMA).

I went to the Grand Palais with my friend Clémence and her friend Gilles to see a contemporary art installation. Somehow, a crane rummaging through secondhand clothes wasn't as moving as I wanted it to be.

Going to the pool in France is different. How, you ask? Well, according to this sign, swimming trunks, les calçons, are forbidden (which is to say, that speedos are obligatory), and according to the lifeguard who interrupted my laps, swimming caps are also mandatory (and they can be purchased at the front desk for 2€)!

 But, I mean, who cares?

Fun at the FIAP was never far away. Here's one of the Kiddos doing a cartwheel at a capoeira demonstration. For those of you who don't know what FIAP means, it was the (very nice) hostel where all the Brownies stayed the first two weeks of the program (except, yours truly. I stayed with my lovely friend, Aurélie.) For those who don't know what capoeira is, it's time to get with it.

On a Brownie group tour of the Louvre we saw about 10 works. Too fast. Here's the great Venus de Milo--not bad for an iPhone camera!

One of my favs...

...but I was more fascinated by the flamboyantly dressed, richie-rich ladies on their private tours! Not mesmerizing but hypnotizing.

Exhibit 2a. Please note, first, the magic boots and, second, the earring so large and dangly, that it rests on her left shoulder. "Isn't it just FABULOUS?"

The Louvre was full of works to behold. It's also quite a sight itself! Here, I'm under one of the Glass Pyramids, which give an interesting perspective to the world from the interior but are not as fascinating when looking from the outside in. (So, I didn't bother.)

My friend, Ben, and I went to Notre Dame. Yes, this photo is from January, and yes, that was over 2 months ago, but...

what a nice way to make a fresh start! Here is Point Zero, the starting place for all roads in France. It's right in front of Notre Dame and fun to step on. Mine is the black shoe. À bientôt!

1 comment:

  1. notre dame - one of my favorite spots in paris
    glad you saw venus de milo - my favorite sculpture!
    i'm so envious i could scream!!
    all love
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete